Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Is it so Wrong?

I’m taking 13 credit hours this semester, I’m trying to stay in shape by doing P90X every morning, I have countless hours of homework, that there is no way I will ever get caught up on, (or so it seems) on top of all that I work 35 hours a week, and we BARELY scrape by. Is it so wrong of me to want something better? Honestly, is it totally immoral to wish for a more comfortable, worry-free life? Truth be told I’d settle for a life that’s not as terrifying, filled with, “are we going to be able to pay all the bills this month?” It’s true, I know, money can’t buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent. I make $9.00 an hour and my place of employment, which I have been currently working extremely hard at, is not giving raises. I’ve been there a year and a half, and there is no raise in sight. I’m exhausted at night, and have even resorted to taking one day off a week so that I can be at 4:30 am, only to get some exercise, do eight hours of homework and then rush out the door to be in class for several hours.
I have friends getting grants left and right, scholarships, inheritances, and the kicker is, they don’t need the money. I do. When I go for a grant or a scholarship, it’s, “oh, I’m sorry, you make too much.” Yeah, I have to make this much, my wife and I don’t live an extravagant lifestyle, but we also don’t want to be homeless. We barely fit in this tiny one-bedroom apartment. This can really put a strain on people we love with all the help they give us, and that eats away at me every day.
With all this in mind, I was at the book store a few weeks ago, when I came across a book called, “Hold ‘Em Wisdom For All Players,” by Daniel Negreanu, and I rediscovered poker. I read his book and have currently read another book on poker and started a third. I’ve so far played eight hours and made more than what I would normally make at my job in the same span of time. So, is this wrong? It was fun, and it was easy. The money helped out a lot! We NEED that. I’m not looking to make so much money that I can buy a mansion, or some kind of expensive car. Truthfully, I just want to have some kind of income that doesn’t make me physically exhausted, leaves me energy to do some homework every night, gives me TIME to actually do that homework, and doesn’t have me living on pins and needles about bills. So, far only one pathway has presented itself. Is there another? There isn’t that I have seen. I don’t want to hear the old clichés about rolling the sleeves up and putting in an honest hard day’s work, being frugal, and all that bull s@#%, ‘cause I’ve tried it. It doesn’t work, it leaves me mentally and physically spent. Is it that something has to give? Do I need to sacrifice my health to get an education? Sacrifice my education to stay healthy? Or sacrifice my wife and my financial stability for the two? This isn’t how it should be. Is it possible for me to make this new hope work? I’m not looking for fame or fortune, just something to put me through school and put less strain on my wife, who is currently working over 40 hours every week, and put a lot less strain and worry on my loved one, especially my poor mother. Is it wrong for me to try? Is it wrong for me to want this? Until I see a better way, this is the best I have come up with. I guess I’m looking for some support here. So, with all this in mind I’m asking, is it wrong?
I can’t think of why it would be.
‘Nuff Said.

3 comments:

  1. I've been living that way for 13 years now and I've more or less given up on "one day." In my book, money DOES buy happiness. Why? Because money = bills paid = roof over head & utilities = peace of mind = lack of depression = happiness. And....give a bum a thousand dollars, and I'm willing to bet he'd be pretty damn happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to become BFF's with a very rich person... let's both do this. He or she will totally hook us up with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If all the raindrops were hundred dollar bill drops oh what a world this would be! I'd stand outside with my pockets open wide. Ching, ching, cha-ching, ching, cha-ching, ching, cha-ching.... :D Seriously, couldn't it just rain money for ONE day? Is that too much to ask? For REAL!

    ReplyDelete